[BRLTTY] NavRowKey on Focus 40

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Oct 5 20:57:22 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by S. Massy on 2019/10/05 at 20:37 -0400]

>Indeed, that's one big challenge for a project like BRLTTY which aims to
>support devices which are difficult and expensive to obtain and which
>may not even be available in every part of the world.

And, back then, we didn't have the capability to automatically generate, let
alone easily manually maintain, model-specific key tables. in the even older
days we didn't even have key tables - the bindings were hard-coded within each
driver. I'm not sure where 2009 fit into that timeline.

>For example, many European models never make it to North America.

Which is why I'm glad that "we" includes a number of very good European
friends.

>The manual is for a "Focus 40 Blue". From that, I inferred it was the
>original but it's not easy to tell. All we really have to go by is the
>year, 2009. To make matters worse, it looks like Freedom Scientific
>didn't always append a generation number to its models (this seems to
>have started with the 4th revision).

I think (if my distant memory is at least close) that the Focus Blue was
introduced in what today's terminology would call the 34d edition.

>Our best bet would be to try and get manuals from different years and see when
>the reference to the navrow keys disappears.

Can you give me a lsit of the controls that that manual says the model with the
navrow keys has? Also, how many text cells, and (if they're mentioned) how many
status cells?

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |