[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Oct 6 17:27:06 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Chevelle on 2019/10/06 at 17:01 -0400]

>    I had an older version, perhaps 5.2 working on Windows 7. Since the other
>person was asking about it, I decided to try it on Windows 10.

We need to separate the two issues. One issue is what works on Windows 7 versus
what works on Windows 10, and the other is does any of this change when using
an older release of brltty versus when using a newer one. I'd appreciate it if
these two transitions could be tested separately rather than both at once.

>If you look at the README file it says
>
>"This is an unofficial build of BRLTTY 6.0 which also includes a few fixes
>for Windows"

Yes, there are a coulpe of special patchdes for the Windows build, but the
build is official. The wording about it being an unofficial build is old and
will be fixed.

>When I run the install.bat, I get these errors:
>
>BRLTTY 6.0 rev unknown [http://brltty.app/]
>brltty.exe: OpenSCManager error 5: Access is denied.
>The service name is invalid.
>The first error comes from the batch file running "brltty -I".

As mentioned above, we need to know if it works with 5.2 on Windows 10 and/or
if it fails with 6.0 on Windows 7. In other words, did Windows introduce a new
restriction or did we introduce a bug.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |