[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Oct 15 11:39:21 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Chevelle on 2019/10/09 at 21:00 -0400]

>Yes, Dave, the batch files could presumably be written in Visual BASIC.

After a lot of playing wit this alternative, I no longer like it. VBScript,
when elevating privileges, uses a window to prompt for an administrator account
and its password. This doesn't work when logged in via ssh.

Something else I don't like about using VBScript to run a command that should
be able to write to a console, e.g. a .bat script, is that it doesn't support
this very well.

>The example seems to contain a couple lines of VBS code.  I think it was
>intended as a drop-in solution for existing batch files.

Yes. It wasn't quite right but, when fixed, it still has the password prompt
issue that I mentioned above (doesn't work when using ssh) so I don't like it
either.

>I haven't done much with VBS.

Neither had I, but I've now learned a good chunk of it. :-)

We talked earlier about how unzipping the file on another system may drop
permissions. Could you please send me the output of this command after
unzipping brltty?

   icacls install.bat

I'd like to compare it with what I get.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |