[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 25 08:00:39 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Oriana Neulinger on 2019/10/25 at 01:18 -0400]

>How long should we allow the debugging program to run?

What do you mean by "the debugging program"? The .zip file for brltty has a
run-debug.bat script in its top-level folder. Is that what you're referring
to? If so, it runs brltty right away.

>Is it possible that there is no log generated if it gets stuck in a loop while
>searching for a USB device?

If we're talking about the run-debug.bat script, no, that's not possible.
There's debug output before it starts searching for the braille device.

>Given that the debugging program runs, and the regular program does not,

The run-debug.bat script runs brltty itself so they aren't two distinct
programs. What run-debug.bat does is run brltty with additional debug options,
and write the debug logs to the file debug.log within brltty's top-level
folder, so right alongside the run-debug.bat script.

>can the debugging program be used on a longterm basis instead of the
>regular program?

Sure, but the debug.log file will get big. Also, debug.log will include
evidence of what was on the screen and what the user typed so that could be
considered a security exposure.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |