[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Oriana Neulinger o.neulinger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 12:26:14 EDT 2019

> >How long should we allow the debugging program to run?
>
> What do you mean by "the debugging program"? The .zip file for brltty has a
> run-debug.bat script in its top-level folder. Is that what you're referring
> to? If so, it runs brltty right away.
>
> >Is it possible that there is no log generated if it gets stuck in a loop
> while
> >searching for a USB device?
>
> If we're talking about the run-debug.bat script, no, that's not possible.
> There's debug output before it starts searching for the braille device.

Ok, so, the part where there is no log file, that's a different problem.
Could it be some kind of write permission error?

> >Given that the debugging program runs, and the regular program does not,
>
> The run-debug.bat script runs brltty itself so they aren't two distinct
> programs. What run-debug.bat does is run brltty with additional debug
> options,
> and write the debug logs to the file debug.log within brltty's top-level
> folder, so right alongside the run-debug.bat script.

Thank you for answering this question. It means that the bat points at the
executable, and the program is probably installed correctly (except for the
path registry, obviously), which means i can hopefully create a script for
her to click on to run BRLTTY.

> >can the debugging program be used on a longterm basis instead of the
> >regular program?
>
> Sure, but the debug.log file will get big. Also, debug.log will include
> evidence of what was on the screen and what the user typed so that could be
> considered a security exposure

Oof, good point, thank you.

You know, so far literally every step of setting up this program has been
different than the online documentation in some way. I'm clever, but I'm
sighted, familiar with computers, and most importantly not the one
physically accessing the PC. This experience has been incredibly
frustrating for both of us. Is there any way I can contribute to make it a
little smoother for the next person?