[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 25 12:43:21 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Oriana Neulinger on 2019/10/25 at 12:26 -0400]

>Ok, so, the part where there is no log file, that's a different problem.
>Could it be some kind of write permission error?

Yes. If so, the unwritable log would have recorded that. :-) One way to test it
would be to give "everyone" full access to the folder. The command to do that
would be something like:

   cd ...\brltty\
   icacls . everyone:f

>Thank you for answering this question. It means that the bat points at the
>executable, and the program is probably installed correctly (except for the
>path registry, obviously), which means i can hopefully create a script for
>her to click on to run BRLTTY.

If you work out (or already know) how to do things like that, please let us
know and we can add such scripts to brltty's top-level folder.

Perhaps brltty's top-level folder should also be added to %PATH%. This, of
course, would also require script renames, e.g. install -> install-brltty.

>You know, so far literally every step of setting up this program has been
>different than the online documentation in some way. I'm clever, but I'm
>sighted, familiar with computers, and most importantly not the one
>physically accessing the PC. This experience has been incredibly
>frustrating for both of us. Is there any way I can contribute to make it a
>little smoother for the next person?

Sure. I myself am not a Windows user so such things aren't immediately obvious
to me. Perhaps you could provide a list of what's wrong within the
documentation, what's missing, what needs clarification, etc.

Another possible issue is that the bulk of the Windows documentation for brltty
was written many Windows releases ago.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |