[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Oct 26 21:05:48 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Oriana Neulinger on 2019/10/26 at 20:19 -0400]

>The Alva's buttons didn't do anything individually, so that's why i was
>hoping to get some keyboard shortcuts...

They should work. Check what happens when in a console window.

You can see what the keys do by going to brltty.app, clicking on Documentation,
then on Key Binding Lists, and then on Braille Device Bindings. Then scroll
down to Alva, and click on Satellite (small). I've attached the key bindings
for the Satellite 544 (as alva-544.txt) to this message.

>What do you mean by enable the API? I'm assuming it's enabled by default,
>right?

Yes, but you don't necessarily want to continue to run brltty manually. If you
run brltty's install.bat script (renamed to enable-brlapi.bat in the
development stream for the next release) then the BrlAPI service will be
installed and started. And, yes, the uninstall.bat script (renamed to
disable-brlapi.bat) stops and removes the service. Note, though, that you won't
get the debug logs when brltty is running via the BrlAPI service.

>What does it mean that "no-api off" is commented?

It means that off is the default for the no-api option. Yes, it's like a double
negative but the option is, after all, to disable the API.

>Or do I need to do things like run the api executable, create the key,
>uncomment the path to the key in the config, etc?

If you want to play with enhyancing security then you might want to set up the
key. For now, though, in order to keep things simple, you should probably set
the API's auth parameter to none.

>Does this executable need to be run every time brltty is started?

No. Just use those .bat scripts as described above.

>Did we need to use the windows screen driver or will NVDA take care of that?

NVDA will take care of it when it's in control, but brltty will probably work
better on its own when in a console window. For that, yes, you do need to be
using the Windows screen driver.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |