[BRLTTY] Custom text table on Android

Frans-Willem Post fwpost at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 16:10:25 EDT 2020

Hello again, success!

On 08-08-2020 18:06, Dave Mielke wrote:
> Did you try rebooting, just in case that matters? All you should need to do is
> switch to a different table and back again, but it wouldn't hurt to test
> rebooting.
Yes, I rebooted in between tries. It didn't matter.

>> Does the folder need special permissions?
> It needs to be world-readable. So does the file.
Folders and files I create via `adb shell` or USB-connection are given
775 permissions like this:

drwxrwx--x 2 root sdcard_rw 32768 2020-08-08 20:49 brltty
and
-rwxrwx--x 1 root sdcard_rw 11641 2020-08-08 17:27 nl.ttb

Looking around my Android filesystem like this, I found that on my
device, '/sdcard' is a symbolic link to the device's primary storage:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root     21 1970-01-01 01:00 sdcard ->
/storage/self/primary

I thus put the 'brltty' folder with the 'nl.ttb'-file in the phone's
primary storage root. And behold: it worked!

>> Can I check whether BrlTTY actually reads the .ttb-file?
> Yes, if you're able to get the device's log. If you can, then set brltty's Log
> Level to Debug, do what you think is necessary to get brltty to read the table,
> and then look through the log for references to its name.

But not quite :) I had forgotten to remove the 'include ...' statements
in the .ttb-file. BrlTTY told me about it when viewing the log.

For those interested: I used `adb logcat -d > my-log.txt` to acquire the
complete Android system log from my device. I then filtered to see only
brltty's messages and voilá. Note: my device is not rooted.

Thank you very much, issue solved and learned a lot.

Kind regards,
Frans-Willem

--
Met de bijlage 'signature.asc' kan uw e-mailprogramma garanderen dat
bovenstaand bericht van mij afkomstig is, en onderweg niet door derden