[BRLTTY] Making postmarketOS blind-accessible

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Wed Aug 19 17:17:54 EDT 2020

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 13:15, Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
>
> It'd be very cool for the kernel to have support for all known USB-to-serial
> adapters, plus any indirectly needed serial support, enabled. That way, those
> with older braille devices that only have a serial port would benefit for the
> mere extra cost of the adpater cable. Sure would beat having to purchase a
> newer braille device.

Good point.

Martijn Braam says: "It depends on the device, of course, but I don't think adding support for usb-serial adapters would be a problem. I already did that to test some things on the PinePhone. I guess enabling prolific, ftdi, and ch340 would cover most adapter cables. Unfortunately, it would be a per-device kernel tweak. I'm not sure how much devices have usb serial support built in already. The allwinner kernel only has CH341 support currently."

I suspect that a HowTo and some quasi-official encouragement might help to make this happen...

-r