[BRLTTY] Bug (somewhere): multi-column Unicode glyphs and DESCCHAR

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Sat Feb 1 08:33:12 EST 2020

Hello

I know that wide character support in Linux console is broken. (By wide
characters I mean Unicode code points whose glyphs have multi-column
representation.) However, there is a weird behaviour that might have something
to do with brltty as well. Brltty's DESCCHAR describes incorrect characters
(off by one) after a multi-column glyph. Actually DESCCHAR's behaviour seems
to be better than the one of brltty's normal display code.

Here is an example from the title of my friends' Telegram (baby discussion)
group.

Unicode characters: 👩‍🔧+🐈=🐛
Character names: WOMAN, WRENCH, PLUS SIGN, CAT, EQUALS SIGN, BUG
Names shown by DESCCHAR: WOMAN, SPACE, WRENCH, PLUS SIGN, CAT, EQUALS SIGN, BUG
Representation on my braille display: ⢄⢄⡤⢄⣤⢄
Braille representation as ASCII text: ??+?=?

So DESCCHAR shows a SPACE character after WOMAN, even though there is no
SPACE. Because of this, if I trigger DESCCHAR at the cell which displays the
PLUS SIGN, DESCCHAR says it is CAT. Also copying and pasting the text using
BRLTTY gives incorrect results.

Why is this and can something be done about it?

--
Aura