[BRLTTY] Bug (somewhere): multi-column Unicode glyphs and DESCCHAR

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Feb 1 16:09:10 EST 2020

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2020/02/01 at 15:33 +0200]

>there is a weird behaviour that might have something to do with brltty as
>well. Brltty's DESCCHAR describes incorrect characters (off by one) after a
>multi-column glyph.

Are you using 6.0 or the latest development code. I'm asking because I think a
problem in this area was resolved just after 6.0 was released. If you're using
6.0 then could you please retest with the latest code?

Does the problem occur just with DESCCHAR or also with cursor routing?

>Actually DESCCHAR's behaviour seems to be better than the one of brltty's
>normal display code.

Why do you think that?

>Unicode characters: 👩‍🔧+🐈=🐛
>Character names: WOMAN, WRENCH, PLUS SIGN, CAT, EQUALS SIGN, BUG

Which of these characters is multi-byte?

>Names shown by DESCCHAR: WOMAN, SPACE, WRENCH, PLUS SIGN, CAT, EQUALS SIGN, BUG
>
>So DESCCHAR shows a SPACE character after WOMAN, even though there is no
>SPACE. Because of this, if I trigger DESCCHAR at the cell which displays the
>PLUS SIGN, DESCCHAR says it is CAT.

But CAT is to the right of PLUS. If SPACE has been (wrongly) inserted to the
left of PLUS then wouldn't DESCCHAR on PLUS show the character to its left,
i.e. WRENCH?

>Also copying and pasting the text using BRLTTY gives incorrect results.

As requested above, please also test cursor routing.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |