[BRLTTY] Newbie curious about Inceptor braille display driver.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 22 09:51:39 EST 2020

[quoted lines by tony seth on 2020/01/21 at 11:44 -0800]

>Okay, well, I just got done having fun with the usb, and safe to
>report, it is working nicely. And I'll stick with it for now.

As of this morning, there are some more bindings that you might find useful
especially since the device only has six-dot cells. They involve Dot8 + one of
the four rightmost routing keys. They are (Dot8 +):

   Routing Key 20: Toggle whether or not the cursor is shown.

   Routing Key 19: Toggle the cursor between being shown as an underline (the
   lowest row of dots) and a block (all dots).

   Routing Key 18: Toggle the cursor between blinking and not blinking.

   Routing Key 17: Toggle uppercase letters between blinking and not blinking.

Note that the rates that cursor and uppercase blinking occur can be separately
controlled from the Text Indicators submenu.

I'm particularly interested in your thoughts regarding the rendering of the
cursor and of uppercase letters when the cells only have six dots.

>You are correct though, the bluetooth example you gave with the space
>plus dot1 doesn't go into the help screen.

That's very strange. I think you did verify that you're using the latest
version of the firmware. It should be 38.

Perhaps you could post a debug log. The best way to capture one is to use
the -L (uppercase) option to specify the file wherein the log is to be written,
and the -l (lowercase) option to specify what's to be logged. In this case, I
recommend: -ldebug,inpkts,brlkeys

Press a few key combinations in a specific order, and then let me know what
that order is. Perhaps you could start with just pressing Dot1, and end with
just pressing Dot6. Be sure to include the Space + Dot1 combination.

>Before using the latest code, I was using the package from Slint,
>which is Slackware International, and I believe the package was made
>by the http://slackbuilds.org team.

I'm not at all familiar with that distribution, so I hope that someone who is
will "chime in".

>The version is 6.0 and works fine. The differenced seems to be, that
>because I have braille support enabled in orca brlapi works and
>displays just fine.
>The latest version doesn't, it just tells me that the screen is no
>longer in text mode.
>I'm curious what I need to do to enable the switching between the
>console and orca.

We need to first decide if it's the new version that's causing the problem or
if it's the act of stopping/starting brltty that's the problem. If you're using
the old version, can you stop/start brltty and it still works? If you start
with the new version, does it already not work?

Perhaps you could capture a brltty debug log. In this case, I recommend:
-ldebug,server

Can you get Orca to write a log that shows the problem from its side?

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |