[BRLTTY] Devices file.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jul 3 16:58:19 EDT 2020

[quoted lines by Anders Holmberg on 2020/07/03 at 21:53 +0200]

>How do i build from its repository?

The first thing you need to do is to decide which directory to build in. By
defualt, git will put it in a directory named brltty, so let's go with that. If
it isn't created yet then that's okay as git will create it. If it already
exists then it'd be best to empty it. When you're ready to get brltty's source
tree, run the command:

   git clone https://github.com/brltty/brltty

If you'd rather use a different directory then just add the name of that
directory to the command line. So:

   git clone https://github.com/brltty/brltty otherDirectoryName

By defualt, you'll be in the master branch which is where all the official
development takes place. This work is being done on another branch named
baum-340, so you'll need to switch to that one via the command:

   git checkout baum-340

Then change into that directory for the rest of it. To do the full build,
you'll need to run these three commands:

   ./autogen
   ./configure --quiet
   make -s

This is the way to get a quiet build with (hopefully) no output at all. If you
remove the --queit option from configure and/or the -s option from make then
you'll get a ton of output, which means that it'll be next to impossible to
find important output, e.g. error messages.

If a command fails then don't proceed to the next one. If you can, resolve the
error(s) and then rerun the command that failed. If you can't figure it out
then let us know what the errors are. As always, the best is if you can capture
the output and attach it.

When you have a successful build, then, with the Baum 340 connected, and as
root, run the just built brltty via the run-brltty command. Give it the very
same options that you'd give brltty. I'd run it like this:

   ./run-brltty -n -e -bbm -dusb: -ldebug -Lbrltty.log

The -n option tells brltty to stay in the foreground. That lets you press
CTRL-C to stop it when you're done.

Note that the -Lbrltty.log option uses an uppercase L.

Let it run for a while, by which I mean about a half a minute. I'm sure that it
won't work yet because the driver needs t know more things. So, when you're
done, send us the brltty.log file so that we can have a look at it.

>I am really a newbie on this so you have to point me in any direction.

Not a problem at all. That's why I asked.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |