[BRLTTY] brltty suddenly wants unpriveledged user

John Covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Sun Jul 26 00:42:10 EDT 2020

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 20:15:21 -0400,
Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by John Covici on 2020/07/25 at 20:07 -0400]
>
> >The program kept saying executing as root and then it would say unable
> >to switch to non priveledged user brltty and then it would say user
> >brltty not found,
>
> Yes, but actually in a mroe obvious order. First it says that it can't find the
> brltty user. Then it says that it can't switch to the configured unprivileged
> user. Then it says that it'll continue to execute as root. That's all good.
>
> >endlessly.  What this has to do with usb, I don't know, but it sure confused
> >me.
>
> It has nothing to do with USB.That code isn't in a loop. It's only executed
> once right when brltty starts. The only reason it'd repeat is if brltty was
> dying (or being killed) and was then being restarted.

That is what I would have thought, but it was the same process number
and it kept repeating at the console forever.    Also, the Braille
display (brailliant bi 40) would make a sound and then go back to
displaying its original humanware display as though nothing was
connected.  It kept doing this over and over, so the USB problem did
something mean to brltty.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una