[BRLTTY] Low-level BrlAPI questions

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Apr 15 19:13:58 EDT 2021

Dave Mielke, le jeu. 15 avril 2021 08:55:58 -0400, a ecrit:
> [quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2021/04/15 at 15:36 +0300]
>
> >From a C programmers view it is complete waste of resources to pass regionSize, andMaskSize and orMaskSize to brlapi__write, if they have the same value anyways.
>
> That's why I'm saying that the mask sizes, just like the text size, should be optional. A few extra bytes in a packet won't hurt anything, and those bits of the packet are controlled by what we might call "has been explicitly specified" flags.

We don't need to pass them in the protocol, brlapi__write can check the
coherency of andSize/orSize/regionSize immediately.

But I'm a bit reluctant to break the brlapi ABI now only to factorize
the size check.

Perhaps we should keep in a corner of brlapi.h or such the list of
things we would like to do on next ABI break.

Samuel