[BRLTTY] Adding support for new HumanWare devices

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 3 10:13:12 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by Étienne Carrier on 2021/08/03 at 12:23 +0000]

>I've pulled the repo and started working on a patch to add support for the BI 40X.

Your patch is the first commit on the (new) hw-bi40x branch. I'll be making another commit, shortly, to reorganize things a bit. We'll use this branch till the work is complete. I'm planning on releasing 6.4 later this month so it's a good time to add support for new models.

The Bluetooth names list also mentions a 20X whereas the USB definitions don't. Does the 20X only support Bluetooth?

The two new Bluetooth name prefixes aren't actually necessary because they're already covered by the shorter "Brailliant BI" prefix. Is it okay for me to remove them?

>I was able to make it work and and connect my BI 40X on a tty (using HID),

What do you mean by connecting it on a tty?

>but it's laggy when compared to my BrailleOne and it disconnects with no apparent reason from time to time.

Are they essentially using the same firmware?

>I'm starting to think I might have missed something somewhere,

Nothing is immediately obvious.

>As I don't know if I'm allowed to make a pull request on GitHub, I'm sending you a patch for the work I currently have done on the project so you're able to see what I've added. If you'd prefer that I open a PR on GitHub, I'll gladly do that.

PRs are fine. Note, as mentioned above, that this is on the hw-bi40x branch.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |