[BRLTTY] Canute on Android

E M Rogers ed.rogers.subs at bristolbraille.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 11:59:52 EDT 2021

Hi all

First request at some hand-holding coming up.

We have Canute 360 working with Windows 10 and Linux Mint 20.04.

Now I am trying to get it working on Android.

I appreciate that very few subscribers will have a Canute to hand, by
the way. A bit of info: It is has 9 lines, it does not have Bluetooth,
it connects via USB-B.

Here are the steps:

Checking USB OTG. Fails on the Android 8 device I have to develop with
(Unihertz Jelly Pro). Works on another Android 8 device (Blackberry KeyOne).

Test USB OTG Converter cable by plugging in keyboard. Works.

Install BRLTTY from the Play Store.

Activate from Accessibility menu.

Turn on Canute and plug in to Android device via USB-B to USB OTG
Converter cable.

Dialogue pops up asking for access for BRLTTY to USB device. Accept and
tick 'Use by default for this USB device'. Although it does have a habit
of continuing to pop up the same message every time I open the phone
again. A clue..?

Manage Devices -> Add device -> USB / Canute 360 -> Select device...

... Now nothing. Canute continues to operate in stand-alone reader mode.
Whereas when plugged in to Windows/Linux it goes into screen-reader mode.

I have read the set-up instructions but not clear on the next steps.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Regards

Ed