[BRLTTY] The braillists forum and an article about reading in braille

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Mon Aug 30 12:19:29 EDT 2021

	hello Sebastien.  I've been programming in the Unix world for just over 30 years, many
years in C, some pascal, and, lately, more in perl.  My primary screen reader is Yasr, working
in text windows.  I use the Flite synthesizer from CMU in conjunction with Eflite, the
companion program to Yasr.  For many years, I did all of my work from DOS, using an old screen
reader called Flipper.  I switched to Yasr about 13 years ago, rewriting all of the default key
mappings in Yasr to match the ones I used the most in Flipper.  One of the advantages Flipper
had, and my version of Yasr has, is that all of the keystrokes one uses to talk to Yasr, as
opposed to the underlying application, can be done from the regular keyboard, as opposed to the
numeric keypad.  Consequently, I don't need to move my hands from one keyboard to another to
get what I need from the screen reader.

Thanks for asking.
-Brian