[BRLTTY] TSI braille display protocol

discapacidad5 discapacidad5 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:02:13 EST 2021

I share my repository is the following
https://github.com/brailletouch/Brailletouch

I think what I need is HID support for esp32, especially HID braille, they
could help with that and I have seen they do keyboards with ESP32 and with
Arduino and I guess HID braille is something similar, but I don't know how
to do it.

Searching the internet I got a library that converts the esp32 to a HID
keyboard, I guess it could be done or even for HID braille.
https://github.com/T-vK/ESP32-BLE-Keyboard

Of 40 million blind people in the world, only 10% can read and write
braille.

One of the primary reason for this is because braille hasn't yet found its
jogging in the digital era, due to the sheer cost of such devices, as well
as the affordability matrix of the visually impaired.

Low-cost braille displays have been sought after for quite a while with no
avail.

Commercially available braille displays employ peizo-electric actuated
pins, which are very expensive.

Due to the sheer expense of braille technology, and the scarce availability
of books in braille, the medium is slowly falling out of favor. But many
agree that braille literacy is paramount for the empowerment of the blind
for education and employment.

It's amazing how expensive assistive technology is. A small flagil braille
display costs more than $ 1,200 USD and a good quality one goes from $
3,000 to $ 6,000. That is why I am developing an open source project. This
is by no means a finished product. Being an open source project, I hope
others will improve the design. In the near future, with the help of
volunteers, Braille touch will reduce the cost of a braille display by 90%
and allow anyone who is visually impaired or deafblind to read and write
braille, as well as use a computer or mobile device efficiently. and
without noise. So if you know someone, if you are a creator, if you are
curious or if you want to help, feel free to enter our repository
https://github.com/brailletouch/Brailletouch and help me build a community
around Brailletouch.

The encoder is practically the heart of the braille display. Most
commercial braille displays have 40 or 80 braille cells. Since the most
expensive on a braille display is braille cells, which cost more than $ 35
each, we are designing a new form of braille display with 40 virtual cells
and a single physical braille cell, reducing most of the cost. . We are
talking about a braille cell that can be made from 3D printed parts, I
designed a different system. Instead of activating 40 cells at the same
time and applying all the power to 40 physical cells, Brailletouch uses a
physical encoder and a virtual braille display of 40 touch sensors placed
in a matrix. In this way, the braille text is gradually displayed in a
single braille cell as the virtual cells are touched. Parts can be easily
printed.

My braille display design succeeds in reducing the cost of a braille
display by over 90%. Currently, a braille screen has a cost between $ 1200
and $ 6000, being $ 1200 the smallest and most fragile, my proposal seeks
to achieve a braille screen that can be manufactured between 100 and $ 150,
it could even be much cheaper when making production mass. Basically, we
could have a screen at an affordable price for all visually impaired and
deafblind people.

My project is open source. The idea is to make available to anyone anywhere
in the world a code that can be modified and improved, files for 3D
printers to print their parts and an assembly manual, so that anyone can
download, print, assemble and use

Its development is based on an esp32 microcontroller. ( is open source
hardware)