[BRLTTY] Making brltty speak

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Wed Dec 15 08:39:17 EST 2021

Jason White (2021/12/15 08:32 -0500):

> On 8/12/21 13:05, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
> > I would really like to be able not to use pulse audio, but unfortunately
> > I am using GUI so I am not sure this is really an option.
>
> I switched to Pipewire and Orca continued to work as desired - so I don't
> understand why you think this isn't an option. Just avoid Pipewire 0.3.41
> until a regression is fixed. 0.3.40 is fine though.

Because, when I wrote this, I didn't know ther ewas the possibility to
use speech-dispatcher with pipewire. Well as far as I understand it, it
still uses Pulse Audio in a way because, at the moment,
speech-dispatcher does not implement a pipewire output method so one has
to install pipewire-pulse (on Debian) so that pipewire emulates a
pulseaudio interface speech-dispatcher can connect to.

Or am I missing something?

> One of the many advantages of using a braille display is that it allows you
> to interact with your system without working audio.

I know that, of course. I'm a full-time braille user aspiring to
experiment with audio to see whether that could bring a gain either in
productivity, or in saving energy or perhaps even both.

Sébastien.