[BRLTTY] Making brltty speak

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Fri Dec 17 12:21:03 EST 2021

Hello,

Christian Schoepplein (2021/12/15 16:07 +0100):
> On Wed, December 15, 2021 12:34 pm, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
> >
> > It seems the cleanest solution is to switch from PulseAudo to PipeWire
> > so I'll have to continue experimenting with that.
>
> Is it possible to switch from pulseaudio to pipewire on Debian Bullseye
> and if yes, how can this be done?*

Just by installing the pipewire and wireplumber packages. Optionnally
also install pipewire-pulse if you have applications that need
pulseaudio.

> I do not know pipewire at all and wonder
> what are the advantages vis pulseaudio? To say it clear, pulseaudio is
> crap, but I've found a solution that brltty and also orca have speech
> output on my system. But if switching to another soundsystem will make
> things easier I'd also switch.

I think piperwire is devleopped in a more professional way and more
maintained. However, if your system works frankly I owuln't touch it. Or
start by experimenting in a VM.

Best wishes,

Sébastien.