[BRLTTY] xbrltty questions

Alexander Epaneshnikov aarnaarn2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 15:02:44 EST 2021

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 08:41:18PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Alexander Epaneshnikov, le mer. 29 déc. 2021 22:32:25 +0300, a ecrit:
> > pressing perkins button on my focus 80 gives me:
> > xbrlapi: Couldn't translate keysym 01002801 to keycode.
>
> Here xbrlapi is receiving a braille dot, which is not supposed to happen.
>
> Which version of brltty is this? Which braille device is this? Normally
> it's brltty that translates the perkins chord to a character, so that
> xbrlapi can just synthesize it in Xorg.

it's the latest brltty master. display is focus 80 gen 2

indeed I configured my brltty to input unicode brail dots.
iirc it worked fign Two months ago. or so. I want to type braille dots
with unicode characters in X11

> > now brltty reads the terminal, but I would like orca to control brltty in the
> > terminal.
>
> What do you mean by "orca to control brltty"?

Excuse me, I probably did not express myself clearly. at this moment the second
brltty starts controlling the display as soon as the focus goes to
the terminal. I would like it not to turn on at all.

I think that for this I just need to rewrite 90-xbrlapi so that it does not
start the second brltty.

> > can I somehow disable reading any content in x11 without editing
> > startup script?
>
> Disabling reading in what? orca or brltty?

I want to achieve two things
1. brltty will not read anything in the gui.
2. I will be able to write in braille dots, and maybe sometimes in  letters in x11.
This option worked for me a few months ago, but it was on a different computer.
and then I just ran xbrlapi myself.

--
Sincerely, Alexander