[BRLTTY] Please test again (was: Re: [slint] brltty-6.3: testers wanted)

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Feb 17 13:23:17 EST 2021

Hello,

After investigation and having reported the issue on the brltty mailing list
(thanks Dave Mielke), I remembered that in Slint brltty is started
during boot
up at a time where the root partition is mounted read only, to allow
checking
its file system.

For a yet unknown reason if using version 6.3 this prevents brltty to work
through orca and also leads to need a signal 9 to kill it.

As a workaround I have modified the script /etc/rc.dr/rc.S to start brltty
after the root partition has been re-mounted read write.

This seems to work here, I have checked using the options "-b tt -d
/dev/tty2":
I do get the text intended to be sent to the Braille display in the second
console (/dev/tty2).

To be 1O0% sure, please users or Braille + speech on the desktop test the
packages I have prepared, typing:
lftp -c "mirror https://slint.fr/repo/"
cd repo
su # to get root's privilege
upgradepkg --reinstall *txz

If your feedback confirms that this work as expected I will upload these
packages to the Slint repository.

I consider this as a workaround because starting brltty after the root file
system has been checked prevent folks using only Braille to see the error
message displayed in case the file system check failed: they will not
know why
they get no output on the Braille display in that case.

Cheers,
Didier