[BRLTTY] how to start and stop brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Feb 22 11:05:57 EST 2021

[quoted lines by John Covici on 2021/02/22 at 08:19 -0500]

>I think the usb rules are being executed,

Which is exactly why you shouldn't "just start brltty". One of your problems
(perhaps not the most important one) might be that you have two brltty
instances (one started by you and the other started by udev) trying to access
the same braille device.

>the problem seems to be with the brltty at .service.  I am not sure why its not
>working, it claims it can't execute /libexec/brltty/systemd-wrapper,

My guess is that the wraper script is failing becuase the brltty instance that
it's running is failing, i.e. not due to any fault of its own.

>but I can do it manually

Perhaps beccause you're invoking it as root whereas systemd isn't. Rememer that
systemd has been told to run brltty as the user brltty, and that you've said
that, on your system, this user hasn't been defined.

It could be that a lot of your problems would go away if you were to cotrrectly
install these files:

   /usr/lib/sysusers.d/brltty.conf
   /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/brltty.conf

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |