[BRLTTY] how to start and stop brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Feb 24 10:47:57 EST 2021

[quoted lines by John Covici on 2021/02/24 at 07:37 -0500]

>not sure why that _ got i n there)

It wasn't that the _ got there somehow. It was, rather, that the SYSTEMD
Preifix was missing. Remember that what you posted was _SYSUSERS_DIR. I rather
suspect either sloppy copy-and-paste or mistyping from memory.

>but then the question remains, how come we
>are getting errors with brltty at .service?

We aren't getting those errors - you are!

>We seem to have two classes of errors, in the original version of that file,
>it complains about modprobe returning an error -- executing the modprobe
>commands in that file by hand no errors.

Which necessarily means that the error has to do with the installatio/configuration.

>You have -+ before the /sbin/modprobe, which might make a difference.

Do you really think the + would be there if it didn't make a difference? Sure
it makes a very big difference. It maens to ignore any errors. That could
happen, for example, if the module being installed didn't exist. That's clearly
not your problem, though, since you said, earlier, that both are indeed loaded.

>The next error we have is that the logs complain about not being able
>to execute /libexec/brltty/systemd-wrapper.

No, that's not what the logs are saying. The logs are saying that brltty
couldn't be initialized (at least, I think that's what the word was), so brltty
is failing, thus causing the wrapper script to fail.

A question: If you're sure that both the sysusers and tmpfiles fles are now in
place, did you then reboot to let them do their joba, and did you then verify
that they did indeed both do their respective jobs?

>You were thinking that the reason this happened was missing
>sysusers/brltty.conf and tmpfiles.d/brltty.conf

No. I was saying that that might be a contributing cause. I don't know
anything. The process of investigation doesn't involve knowing - it involves
relentless analysis without making any presuppositions.

>but now we have found them.

Finding them means absolutely nothing. That act, for example, doesn't prove
that they've actuall been used.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |