[BRLTTY] Some symbols not displaying correctly after upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04

S. Massy smassy at wolfdream.ca
Sun Jan 3 16:10:31 EST 2021

Hello,
Over the holidays, I finally took the plunge and migrated my laptop from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, a process which  was mostly painless. One anomaly which I have noticed, however, is that some symbols are displayed very strangely when using certain console applications. For example, the HTML entity ’ (ampersand rsquo semicolon) is displayed as ~@~Ys (space, tilde, at sign, tilde, capital Y, s) rather than a simple apostrophe, while a French accent such as an E acute will display a space and two asterisks. So far, I have observed this phenomenon in lynx, elinks and mutt (HTML mails only). Has anybody else ever experienced this and is a remedy known? My guess is that this has more to do with the way some applications render HTML entities than BRLTTY itself but I figured people on this list were most likely to have run into this issue already.

I am using the default version of BRLTTY bundled with Ubuntu 20.04, which is 6.0, and my braille table is set to English NABCC.

Thanks in advance for any help,
S.M.
--
Sebastien Massy