[BRLTTY] Developing for Canute and BRLTTY

E M Rogers ed.rogers.subs at bristolbraille.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 06:47:38 EDT 2021

Hi all

I'm Ed, MD at Bristol Braille Technology, developers of the Canute 360,
the 360 cell Braille display.

Happily (also thanks to the support of the Chrome OS team and the NBP)
Dave added support for Canute to BRLTTY back in version 6.1.

I think its fair to say its not been used in anger much since then.

There are various efforts now to make the most of this support for the
first affordable multiline Braille displays paired with a screen-reader.

BBT has in-house projects involving productivity software and tables.

There are partners in other, larger, companies, who are developing a
range of applications for multiline refreshable Braille using
Canute+BRLTTY has either the base or as inspiration.

I'm not our developer at BBT. Sadly our lead developer died earlier this
year. We are a small team but we are expanding to fill the gap. Right
now, however, I'm the closest BBT has to a programmer familiar with
screen-readers.

I'm hoping in the short term this mailing list might be able to provide
some guidance and occasional hand-holding, especially as BBT partners
with other developers.

In the medium to long term I look forward to contributing to the wealth
of applications BRLTTY can be put to, especially when partnered with
multiline refreshable Braille.

There's my background.

Cheers

Ed

Ed Rogers, Bristol Braille Technology CIC, Bristol, UK