[BRLTTY] Nos braille ouput through Orca since 6.2

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Mon Mar 15 11:00:29 EDT 2021

Le 13/03/2021 à 02:32, Dave Mielke a écrit :
 > [quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2021/03/13 at 00:20 +0100]

 > So you were removing things that the already-running brltty was
relying on. So - really - not "somehow".

 >> Just moving it up (before starting brltty) did the trick.
 >
 > A properly configured system boots with a clean /run/ (i.e. /run/ is
in a tmpfs) so that shouldn't be necessary. I recommend removing that
line altogether.

I will have to assess the consequences. Patrick Volkerding wrote it, I
have to first understand why before making such a change in the main
startup script.

 >> It looks a little weird though that the issue occurred even with:
 >> -W /run/brltty
 >> in the command line or:
 >> writable-directory=/run/brltty
 >> in brltty.conf
 >
 > No. Removing stuff that brltty has created and is relying on isn't a
good idea.

But there was no issue with brltty-6.1

 >> An aside I am not convinced that the benefit of this least privilege
thing
 >> is worth the additional complication.
 >
 > I'm not. This is just the way all good apps are designed these days.

Really? Next questions from 3 1/2 yo grandson would probably be:
What is a good app?
And why are these designed this way these days?
But I'm Didier not Lucas, so feel free to not answer :-)

 >> Maybe that's related to the fact that I never could read in full "man
 >> capabilities" before falling asleep :-)
 >
 > That's why we're (not) paid to understand it for you. :-)

I'm not paid either to maintain Slint, but that doesn't bother me at all.
System integration is my hobby, and that it can help a few is rewarding
enough.

 >> Oh and the brltty process started early (by root) still can't be
killed with
 >> a SIGTERM, but that's a minor inconvenience, I think. Anyway I have
added -9
 >> to the kill command of our daemon manager in the stop function.
 >
 > Please send a log with -ldebug,async that shows what's going on.

Attached. The root partition being still mounted ro I just wrote:

mount -rw UUID="3C8C-1441" /mnt/tmp #This is on an US stick
/bin/brltty -b tt -d /dev/tty3  -ldebug,usb,async -L/mnt/tmp/brlttylog1

the ",usb" is pointless (no physical braille display) but doesn't hurt, I
assume.

killal brltty just stop the output on /dev/tty3 but doesn't kill the daemon.
I didn't check if the log goes beyond the SIGTERM, if necessary I will.

Best regards,
Didier