[BRLTTY] Nos braille ouput through Orca since 6.2

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Mar 12 20:32:12 EST 2021

[quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2021/03/13 at 00:20 +0100]

>Issue solved (somehow).

No, not somehow.

>In our main init script, after having started brltty, the was this line:
>rm -rf /var/run/*

So you were removing things that the already-running brltty was relying on. So - really - not "somehow".

>Just moving it up (before starting brltty) did the trick.

A properly configured system boots with a clean /run/ (i.e. /run/ is in a tmpfs) so that shouldn't be necessary. I recommend removing that line altogether.

>It looks a little weird though that the issue occurred even with:
>-W /run/brltty
>in the command line or:
>writable-directory=/run/brltty
>in brltty.conf

No. Removing stuff that brltty has created and is relying on isn't a good idea.

>An aside I am not convinced that the benefit of this least privilege thing
>is worth the additional complication.

I'm not. This is just the way all good apps are designed these days.

>Maybe that's related to the fact that I never could read in full "man
>capabilities" before falling asleep :-)

That's why we're (not) paid to understand it for you. :-)

>Oh and the brltty process started early (by root) still can't be killed with
>a SIGTERM, but that's a minor inconvenience, I think. Anyway I have added -9
>to the kill command of our daemon manager in the stop function.

Please send a log with -ldebug,async that shows what's going on.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |