[BRLTTY] braille Unicode input in X

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Mar 27 15:03:19 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2021/03/27 at 18:21 +0100]

>I'm thinking that we may want to change the default retaindots
>parameter: it used to be 1, i.e. get untranslated dots by default. But
>now that the user can control whether to translate dots or not, I'd say
>the best default would be 0, so that applications by default get the
>user preference, and it's only if a particular application really wants
>dots that it will get them.

It's an interesting idea, but maybe we need to reconsider the need for the flag.

The original idea was that a client that claimed PASSDOTS would get dots and a client that clamed PASSCHAR would get characters. One of the problems with this, of course, is that the core can't tell whether or not it should run PASSDOTS (what most braille devices send) through the server since it doesn't know if any client wants them.

Is it only the parameter that an change the retaindots setting? If so, we can probably still assume, that this point, that it's currently always true. If so, we can probably just drop it.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |