[BRLTTY] Fwd: Problems when using brltty in the terminal

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Sun May 9 15:44:14 EDT 2021

On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 09:08:34PM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
><off topic>
>I always wonder why people do in a graphical environment things more easily
>done
>in a console. Maybe just because that's what they are used to? Granted, there
>are things that can't be done in console, but typing commands in a shell or
>editing text files isn't among them, as far as I know.
><off topic>

I allways prefer the console if I have the tools to do the task I need or want to to in a textbased environment. And most of the things I have to do for work and also for myself private I can do in the console...

The only reason I am looking for a solution to get brltty with speech support up and running in the Mate text terminal is that I am looking for a good altnerative to have a system with full screen reader support for the text console and also for a graphical environment.

When I setup a new Debian for example I get a working Mate with speech and braille support, but I only get braille without speech support for the pure text console. If I like to enable speech support also for the text console, I have to do bad and ugly things to get it up and running.

This bad and ugly things would be not longer necessary, if the Mate terminal can be used like a pure text based working environment. Setting up such a system would also be easy for Linux beginners and things would run much more stable.

Ofcourse I could also configure my new Debian Bullseye system like I've configured thee other systems before, running pulseaudio as a systemwide daemon and do all those other stupid things to get speech in Mate and in the console, but if there is a a much better solution I'd like such a setup much more in future.

Ciao,

  Schoepp