[BRLTTY] Brltty sounds absence with sof-firmware driver used on Linux

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Jan 9 06:07:47 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Vsevolod Popov on 2022/01/09 at 10:36 +0300]

Hi:

>I use Hims QBrailleXL display.

This is a model which we don't explicitly support, so I'd sure like to see a log with some more detail in order to see what the HIMS driver thinks it is.

Which keys does this model have?

>When pressing space+h on a display there is a message that no help for this display is available.

I'm sure this can be fixed after looking at a log.

>I simply typed sudo brltty and then an argument to pass all output to log
>file.

Do you mean something like redirecting standard error, e.g. 2>/logfile?

The best way to capture a log is to use brltty's -L (uppercase) option, i.e. -L /path/to/logfile.

And also use brltty's -l (lowercase) option to say what should be logged. In this case, please use: -l debug,inpkts,outpkts,brldrv,usb

>Usually, when I don't invoke brltty as root, it starts with systemd and
>then it works via brltty user with orca as Alexandr told. But when invoking
>it in terminal with root privileges then driver errors are displayed in log,

It might be that the Systemd invocation specifies additional options that matter.

There's something else, by the way, that I'd like to see. There's a file at /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices which contains a representation of the USB descriptors for your QBrailleXL. Could you please send that to me? The whole file contains descriptions of all of your USB devices. If that's okay then just send the whole file. This, of course, needs to be done while the device is connected.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |