[BRLTTY] Russian braille tables and orca issue

Vsevolod Popov sevapopov13 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 09:09:20 EST 2022

16.01.2022 14:46, Dave Mielke пишет:
> Are there problems with brltty's Russian braille table? If so, please let me know so that they can be fixed?I will write from my perspective, I think Aleksandr can correct me if
something is wrong.
As far as I understand the situation, russian brltty table has really
old rules for punctuation symbols. Recently, LibLouis Russian computer
braille table was significantly updated and the new rules of one
symbolled punctuation were applied.
For example, now, in Russian brltty table all punctuation is displayed
with the eight's dot at the bottom. For example "." is displayed with
dots 2568. This 8's dot is confusing, especially when reading code on a
braille display and there are  different types of brackets, symbols like
"=" or ">". The 8's dot makes the process of identifying the symbol longer.
In the new LibLouis computer braille table the "." is written as dot 3,
"," as dot 6, "!" as dot 5. All that makes separating numbers and
punctuation symbols much easier.
For some reason, Orca never sees any LibLouis tables that are used, it
always switches to brltty table.
I haven't tried switching tables when the locale is set to English, though.
I will be glad if there are any corrections that can be made to my
explanation to make it clearer.
Thank you.
--
regards,