[BRLTTY] PATCH review request

Adrian Ratiu adrian.ratiu at collabora.com
Fri Jan 21 02:51:31 EST 2022

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022, Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> [quoted lines by Adrian Ratiu on 2022/01/18 at 13:30 +0200]
>
>>Can anyone please help review and merge? Thank you!
>>https://github.com/brltty/brltty/pull/353
>
> I saw the PR and am not accepting it. It reverts back to using a
> single- (rather than a cross-) platform paradigm, and also
> assumes that certain environment variables are alraedy set
> within the build environment.
>
> Perhaps someone could explain what the actual problem is so that
> a proper resolution can be implemented.

Sorry I missed this e-mail. I tried to provide more context in the
Github pull request. Can we please continue the discussion there?

In a nutshell Samuel's observation is correct, we need to be able
to use LLVM tools instead of ld or CROSS_PREFIXed which are GNU
tools.

This has been a silent problem (mixed GNU/LLVM toolchain usage)
for many years in ChromiumOS and Gentoo and we'd like to start
using consistent toolchain usage to discourage silently mixing GNU
& LLVM.

Hope it makes more sense now,
Adrian