[BRLTTY] Russian braille tables and orca issue

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 17 10:57:03 EDT 2022

[quoted lines by Vsevolod Popov on 2022/03/17 at 15:34 +0300]

>I am speaking about LibLouis contraction braille table.

I'm not sure about how Orca does things since I do most things in text mode. Could you please test brltty within a text console and let us know if you have the same (or maybe different) problems?

As far as I know, when using BrlAPI (which Orca does), only brltty's text table would be used. Thus, if Orca can be set to contracted (literary) braille, then I assume it's doing its own translation and sending dot patterns to brltty. I'd appreciate it if someone, here, could verify this.

>I cannot tell that's new. I found it in January. It comes from a
>previous problem that Orca couldn't detect contraction tables which was
>partially solved by replacing BRLTTY Russian table with new LibLouis computer
>braille table.

That was an update to brltty's Russian computer braille (text) table. When using contracted braille with brltty, the only time it'd use the current text table is when needing to render a specific character that isn't defined within the current contraction table.

>After an update of BRLTTY until version 6.4, when some issues with x11 were
>fixed, I noticed that the situation became better. It started working as I
>described earlier. Tables started detecting but the only problem is the
>punctuation symbols displaying in a wrong way, computer braille symbols are
>displayed instead of the symbols that are defined in the contraction table.

Is this for Russian-specific punctuation, English punctuation, or both?

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |