[BRLTTY] Russian braille tables and orca issue

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Mar 22 14:56:33 EDT 2022

[quoted lines by Андрей Якубой on 2022/03/21 at 21:44 +0300]

Hi:

>It sounds very strange. It's definitely not a problem of the Liblouis-table:
>there're no any computer braille definitions in the Russian literary braille
>table at all.

Yes, I'm inclined to believe that because he says that it's working correctly with NVDA and I think that NVDA also uses LibLouis.

>If punctuations are displayed like in conputer braille, it
>means that there's some connection between literary and computer braille
>table in BRLTTY or ORCA

I don't think it'd be within brltty because Orca uses BrlAPI to tell brltty what to display and my understanding is:

* Computer Braille: Orca sends text and brltty, using the currently selected text table, converts it to computer braille.

* Contracted Braille: Orca uses LibLouis to convert the text to braille, and then sends that braille to brltty.

>(for example, it can be something like showing
>current word in computer braille, or more else).

Yes, that could be it. LibLouis has an option to expand the current (where the cursor is) word. Maybe Orca is using that flag and NVDA isn't.

I myself don't use Orca, i.e. I use a text console and when I need to use a graphical browser I use my phone. In fact, my computer doesn't even have a monitor. :-) If someone could give me a quick guide in how to get Orca going, I could try to test this.

>1. Does BRLTTY have any connection between computer and literary braille
>within the same language?

Yes, but it wouldn't apply in this case. When using contracted braille, it falls back to the computer braille representation of a character that isn't defined by the contraction table. This is very rare, but, just in case it actually does happen, it's a fallback technique. Since Orca sends braille, rather than text, in the contracted braille case, however, this couldn't be the cause.

>2. How BRLTTY treats Liblouis output? Liblouis has a lot of display tables
>(.dis) which specify braille output (braille Unicode, BrailleAscii, etc.),
>they can be given in the list of tables when calling lou_translate function.
>Or BRLTTY simply convert the output into BrailleUnicode? It may be important,
>as Russian literary braille tables use unusual output with virtual dot 9.

While brltty can use LibLouis for contracted braille (in which case it uses LibLouis itself), again, this wouldn't be the case when Orca is using contracted braille.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |