[BRLTTY] 6.5 within a couple of weeks.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed May 4 04:21:47 EDT 2022

[quoted lines by Christian Schoepplein on 2022/05/04 at 09:47 +0200]

>But wouldn't it be best practice to allways speech the full
>line, no matter if they are really new or only updated? Speaking only a part
>of a line is IMHO a real bad behaviour when only working with speech because
>the user will not get the whole information of the content displayed on the
>screen.

Did you read my example at the bottom? I'll repeat it as well as give a second.

When you're typing at a prompt, do you really want the whole line (including even the prompt part) respoken each time you type a character? Now, of course, in this case you do know the context - but brltty doesn't. In this case, I'm sure you're quite happy that brltty is only saying each new characte4r as it's being typed.

In an editor, when you're actually editing (not just reading), let's say you want to fix a single character on a long line. I rather suspect that you, again, are quite happy that brltty only announces the new character, so that you can be absolutely sure that it's correct, rather than respeaks the entire line. Again, in this case you do know the context but brltty doesn't.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |