[BRLTTY] Emojis and the zen of console

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun May 22 15:52:45 EDT 2022

On 22/5/22 14:07, Mario Lang wrote:
> Since I was recently (more or less humorously) verbally attacked for
> being a linux terminal user ("The stuff you are working with is 30 years
> old and all outdated"), and just used DESCCHAR to reveal a smirking face
> emoji hidden behind a question mark, I wanted to express my amazement
> again that we actually have FULL UNICODE SUPPORT via Linux kernel.

Linux is among the few environments in which the terminal continues to
thrive. Unicode support is a good illustration of modernization.

As to the software's being thirty years old, the same can be said of a
wide variety of other, widely used systems and applications. In some
cases, the code extends back to the 1970s.