[BRLTTY] Emojis and the zen of console

S. Massy smassy at wolfdream.ca
Sun May 22 16:39:56 EDT 2022

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 03:52:45PM -0400, Jason White wrote:

> On 22/5/22 14:07, Mario Lang wrote:
> > Since I was recently (more or less humorously) verbally attacked for
> > being a linux terminal user ("The stuff you are working with is 30 years
> > old and all outdated"), and just used DESCCHAR to reveal a smirking face
> > emoji hidden behind a question mark, I wanted to express my amazement
> > again that we actually have FULL UNICODE SUPPORT via Linux kernel.
>
> Linux is among the few environments in which the terminal continues to
> thrive. Unicode support is a good illustration of modernization.
>
> As to the software's being thirty years old, the same can be said of a wide
> variety of other, widely used systems and applications. In some cases, the
> code extends back to the 1970s.
I use the same software as well. I have yet to encounter a solution
presenting me with the same level of productivity, speed and freedom. If
something better in all these aspects should ever come, I will gladly
embrace it, but, in the meanwhile, I'll stick to my console-based suite
of applications.
Cheers,
S.M.

--