[BRLTTY] WORDS AND WORDS... BUT GNOPERNICUS?

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 10 21:45:51 EDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Christopher Moore wrote:

> Hi Kenny,
> I've had similar unfavorable experiences with gnopernicus and gnome.  I
> think the basic problem is getting a compatable snapshot of libraries and
> applications.

I agree this has always been the problem with Gnome accessibility, largely
a distribution issue rather than a fault with the actual implementation.

I have been informed that under Gentoo, as all of the software is compiled
on the user's computer, unexpected library incompatibilities are less
likely to occur. I am running Gentoo on my laptop. My desktop system,
where the braille display is, still has Debian installed, though I am
considering upgrading to an AMD64 machine and if I do that, I'll decide
whether to continue with Debian Unstable or to switch to Gentoo there
also. Incidentally, the laptop has neither a keyboard port nor a serial
port, so it won't take the Inka braille display (the display isn't
portable at all in any case).