[BRLTTY] NO SERIAL PORTS? NO PROBLEMS!

mrkiko mrkiko.rs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:58:42 EDT 2005

I've a laptop system without a serial port. I resolved my problems compiling in
the kernel (not as a module, but in the kernel side) the usb-to-serial adapter
driver. I bought a prolific serial adapter (because it's one of the more
supported models) and all work fine, after a minimum of brltty setup.

WARNINGS:
- the debian version of brltty is very outdated. It's 3.4.1. I resolved this
problem in a not-elegant way:compiling brltty statically. I used the follogin
configure parameters:
--disable-table-selection --disable-midi-support
--disable-fm-support --disable-pm-configfile
--enable-standalone-programs --disable-usb-support --disable-bluetooth-support
--disable-speech-support --with-braille-driver=al --with-text-table=de
--disable-contracted-braille --with-screen-driver=lx

You can adjust them if you like, but I use these parameters in my standard.
Now, to get up, compile brltty passing to configure these parameters (
the really important is only --enable-standalone-programs ) and then remember
to set up the api in the normal way (check if the daemon is listening, the
keyfile  and so...).  This is not a good solution, but I think that in an
emergency case it can go ok. ( I'm using this solution and waiting the debian
packagers to understand that they should update brltty! I sent some emails to
mlang at debian.org, but he can't understand....).
- brlapi: debian is currently using libbrlapi 3.4.1. I don't know exactly, but
surely you must re-build it also, because the new brltty uses libbrlapi 4.0...

Basically, I think that for now we must wait ( we=we using debian), because
debian is having a little problems with packaging maintenance. Various
packages are changing theyr name, some packages are not updated and gnome + X
are having a lot of problems. ... THE SOLUTION IS WAITING OF PASS TO GENTOO?