[BRLTTY] supported applications

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Aug 12 21:29:50 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 12:37:26PM +0100, Darragh wrote:
> Hello all, Let me first start off by commending the developers of
> BrlTTY. without it I'd not be able to do my job.

Indeed, the developers of BRLTTY have created a truly excellent piece of
software. I am sure it will continue to improve.

> Now for the questions. 1.  I want to find a good browser that supports
> javascript. Because links doesn't support javascript it worked well
> until the site tried to bring up a popup window.

There are two options.

1. Try elinks (http://elinks.or.cz/). It has limited Javascript support.

2. Install Gnopernicus and the latest Sun build of Mozilla 1.7 with the
accessibility patches included. Configure Gnopernicus and BRLTTY to work
together. Note: this can be a complex and frustrating process as many
distributions of Linux don't come with up to date versions of Gnome and
Gnopernicus, leading to library compatibility problems. Still, if you
really need full Javascript support this is the only option.

3. Contact the developers of the Web site and ask them to provide an
HTML alternative to the functionality that relies on Javascript.

> 2. Yast, the package managing utility for SuSE really doesn't work
> well with BrlTTY.  How can I get use from this?

If it allows you to do everything from the command line without running
in full-screen mode that might be your best option. Other than that, it
really depends on what the problems are. Why doesn't it work well with
BRLTTY?