[BRLTTY] [ot] Systems with BIOS-level serial console support

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Aug 21 23:45:06 EDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 03:12:22PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Sparc systems used to be fully controlled via serial interfaces. Maybe
> new sun hard can too.

I read some documentation. The servers, at least, can be controlled via
a serial interface or ethernet.

> > I'm not aware of any PC BIOS that supports this, though it is
> > reputedly common in Unix machines.
>
> I'm not either :( (Except industry-oriented servers I guess).
There are interesting projects underway, e.g., http://www.linuxbios.org/
and http://www.openbios.org/ but largely oriented toward embedded
systems and clusters, at least so far.

> > I predict given these developments that it won't be long before
> > systems emerge in which BRLTTY could be embedded in the BIOS.
>
> Well, there was some discussion about things like this at the
> Accesibility FSG meeting held in January, see www.a11y.org.

I would be interested in anything that emerges from this.