[BRLTTY] Default braille device and driver.

Mike Pedersen mike.pedersen at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 31 19:40:44 EDT 2005

Hi,
> BRLTTY now supports the autodetection of several braille
> displays. I'm beginning to think, therefore, that the time
> has come to switch the default driver to auto. This could
> certainly easily be the case if no drivers are built in since
> there's no current default driver in that case anyway. What
> about when drivers are built in? One thing to keep in mind is
> that there are those who may build drivers in but who also
> have more than one display. It'd sure be convenient for them
> if the default, even in that case, were auto.
I am very much in favor of this as I frequently change displays between
machines and it would make life nicer if brltty is set to start on boot up.

> One proposal for the default device, which I'll put on the
> table to get the discussion going, is to use USB: if the
> driver supports USB, and to revert back to the primary serial
> port if it doesn't.
I personally like the change to USB as especially with new PCs and braille
displays USB is more common than serial.  How about only falling back to the
default serial port if a display that supports serial is specified on the
command line with "-b".  This would also have the added protection of at
least affording some limited backward compatibility.

> One more thing I'd like to discuss regarding this topic is if
> this change should be made in 3.7 or if it should wait for 3.8.
I think it would be OK if this were held back to early in the 3.8 process as
I know you have a desire to get 3.7 released sooner than later.
Mike