[BRLTTY] How to programmatically do a blinking cursor and/or blinking cells?

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 11 08:35:20 EST 2006

Hi Willie, hi all,

> I've been digging around the BrlAPI documentation, but I'm still at a
> loss for how to specify the blinking properties for the cursor.  Is this
> something an assistive technology such as Orca can set via the API?

Not at the moment. We wondered, inthe past, whether BrlAPI should
provide such a functionality or not, and at that time we thought it was
too high-level for us and decided not to implement it in libbrlapi.

However, it is true that if blinking would be provided by BrlAPI, this
would let the user paramaterize the blinking speed in a way that would
remain coherent from client to client, and in brltty.

Perhaps this coul be implement, once BrlAPI will have properties (soon,
hopefully).

Also, we thought about a two-layers approach to providing braille
display services. We talked about starting a second library, comparable
to toolkits for X, which could integrate those higher-lever services
like blinking, handling multi-window texts. Nothing has b developed so
far, and we will warmly welcome any suggestion concerning the design and
functionalities that wouldbe the most useful tothe community.

Cheers,
Sébastien.