[BRLTTY] Re: gnome-braille

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Dec 11 18:47:34 EST 2006

Bill Haneman, le Mon 11 Dec 2006 23:37:45 +0000, a écrit :
> Perhaps I am wrong about the bidirectional mapping, but my understanding
> from Will is that this info is currently not available via BrlAPI, thus
> it is difficult to effectively use brailles that don't have a
> one-cell-per-character implementation.

Indeed.  I personnally think that BrlAPI should stay with its current
"one-to-one" text mapping, and that more advanced braille translation
should be done by a module on top of BrlAPI.

> If you folks are interested in looking at pulling part or all of
> gnome-braille into BrlTTY I'd be happy to continue the discussion (note
> however that I will be on holiday from later this week until January)

I'm not sure whether this should be integrated into BRLTTY: this is
something that other applications may need (like cups for embossing
text, for instance).

Samuel