[BRLTTY] BrlAPI and dot string <-> dot integer conversion

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 13 03:58:23 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:52:13AM +0100, S?bastien Hinderer wrote:
> I like Jason's argument that adding the mentioned functions would
> encourage standard handling.
>
> My question woul rather be: is BrlAPI reall the right place for these
> functions ? Wouldn't it be better to ad them to a library like
> gnome-braille or a higher lever braille toolkit ?

It depends on what the purpose of the higher-level library is. So far, it has
been described as a library to provide translations of text into various
braille codes, particularly for languages that don't allow a one-to-one
mapping between characters and eight-dot braille cells.

It seems to me that writing specific dot patterns to a braille display, or
reading them from a braille keyboard - the kinds of applications in which
these proposed functions and macros would be beneficial - are activities
belonging at a lower level.

However, if there are other purposes envisaged for the higher-level library
then by all means these functions and macros can be implemented there.