[BRLTTY] Xbrlapi

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 14 13:34:38 EST 2006

Thanks for the quick response!

> > type: corresponds to the KEY_TYPE_* constants.  There are currently
> >       only two types: KEY_TYPE_SYM (used for text entry) and
> >       KEY_TYPE_CMD (used for everything else).
>
> Yes.
>
> > cmd:  The actual command.
>
> > The 'type' above is encoded in the command.
>
> What do you mean by that?

(cmd | type) == cmd, at least from what I can tell.

> >       For the most part, the possible cmd values correspond to the
> >       KEY_TYPE_CMD_* constants.
>
> Yes.
>
> > [What does this hold when the type is KEY_TYPE_SYM?]
>
> Standard X keysyms

Aha.  So...does this mean that my observation that "(cmd | type) == cmd"
is only accurate for events with type KEY_TYPE_CMD and not KEY_TYPE_SYM?

> > arg:  Holds optional command arguments.
>
> Yes.
>
> >       [What does this hold when the type is KEY_TYPE_SYM?]
>
> It never not hold anything.

What does 'arg' hold when the type is KEY_TYPE_SYM?

> > flgs: I've yet to see this hold a non-zero value, so I don't have a
> >       clue.  :-(
>
> These are brlapi.KEY_FLG*, like SHIFT, CONTROL, META. Some commands have
> specific flags too.

Interesting.  Thanks.  Do you have table that specify which commands
have flags, or it is infamously intuitively obvious?  :-)

> See man brlapi_commands for more details.  Dave, here is a documentation
> patch for pointing users to brlapi_commands(3).

Unfortunately, I'm missing the man pages for brlapi and never knew they
existed until today.  The docs I found on line suffered from some sort
of "off by one" error, where the docs really didn't document what they
were documenting.  I think you may have fixed that (THANKS!).

So...I've just been fighting my way through source code and defines.
Looks like Programs/brlapi_constants.h might have some of this
information, though.

Thanks!

Will