Write of brltty.pid on read-konly file systems at boot [Was: [BRLTTY] brltty deb update give still a eternal still unresolved problem]

Yannick PLASSIARD yan at mistigri.org
Mon Dec 18 09:37:51 EST 2006

> For a start, could you check that /var/run/brltty.pid properly contains
> the pid of the currently running brltty?
>
> Mmm, just to make sure: do you start brltty very early?  For instance,
> before / is even mounted read and write, so that brltty may not be able
> to write /var/run/brltty.pid? (and hence the upgrade script not be able
> to find out that there is a brltty daemon running)
	I don't use Debian packages, but I'm starting Brltty before the
fsck (and so, before the remounting of / in read-write) so Brltty is
unable to write its /var/run/brltty.pid file.

Fix proposal: If the Brltty process can't write to /var/run, could it
retry every n seconds (or minutes) until the writing is successful? Of
course, it should run normably bitween the start and the actual writing.

> Samuel
Yannick