Write of brltty.pid on read-konly file systems at boot [Was: [BRLTTY] brltty deb update give still a eternal still unresolved problem]

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Mon Dec 18 09:48:41 EST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Yannick PLASSIARD wrote:

 > > For a start, could you check that /var/run/brltty.pid properly contains
 > > the pid of the currently running brltty?
 > >
 > > Mmm, just to make sure: do you start brltty very early?  For instance,
 > > before / is even mounted read and write, so that brltty may not be able
 > > to write /var/run/brltty.pid? (and hence the upgrade script not be able
 > > to find out that there is a brltty daemon running)
 > 	I don't use Debian packages, but I'm starting Brltty before the
 > fsck (and so, before the remounting of / in read-write) so Brltty is
 > unable to write its /var/run/brltty.pid file.
 >
 > Fix proposal: If the Brltty process can't write to /var/run, could it
 > retry every n seconds (or minutes) until the writing is successful? Of
 > course, it should run normably bitween the start and the actual writing.
would mean either a fork or threading of the application or a check on
certian calls all the time.
If you go for a check on certain function calls it will mean it will keep
doing these calls during every operation even if the pid-file is written
or not.

either threading or forking an extra child-application should be an
option.
however I don't know how this will work in the startup face of an
operating system and for the load on the brltty process.

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)